Given the suspension of face-to-face activities in Scouting nationally, we will be attempting to keep some elements of the explorer programme running online. This page is going to be continually updated to provide you with information about our activities.
Here’s a few things you can do in between meetings or if you’re unable to join:
- Check where your progress with badges and try to complete some of the criteria for ones you haven’t finished yet and that you’re able to carry out at home. You can check most of your badge progress by logging into Online Scout Manager – email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can’t login.
- Complete some of the Digital Citizen badge criteria and email the evidence to your leaders.
- Further activities, including information on DofE, to follow…
Meetings will be held with Microsoft Teams at the following times, from the week beginning the 23rd March:
- Tuesdays – 8:15pm – 9:00pm
- Wednesdays – 8:15pm – 9:00pm
- Fridays – 8:15pm – 9:00pm
These meetings are open to ALL explorers should you wish to join. Links to join the meetings will be emailed to all explorers (check your spam – sent from email@example.com) and placed in your unit’s Facebook page if you have one.
Complete by taking part in Jamboree on the Internet (info to follow) and the BSOChallenge. Once you’ve completed, upload evidence to OSM (process detailed in email sent on the 27th March).
We would like as many explorers to take part in what will hopefully be the World’s largest virtual camp. Please camp wherever you can in your house/garden between the 1st April and 1st May, for as many nights as you want.
Before you camp, please let us know by completing the form linked from the email sent on the 27th March. Once you’ve done your night away, submit your evidence to OSM.
The world record attempt will be on the 30th April.
Using Microsoft Teams
Please have a go at connecting to this meeting a couple of days before the first meeting (https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_MDEyNmJjOGYtMTE4YS00OTJlLTk1YTQtOGI2MTBlYTAzZTE2%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%226a160b77-213e-4741-be18-727e301a220a%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%227a736d23-5e68-49bd-bf0b-b87611b1047f%22%7d). It will let you check your camera and microphone and get used to the app.
- You can connect to our meetings by visiting the link we provide in most browsers (Google Chrome, Edge, etc.)
- If you want to use an iOS device (iPad/iPhone) or Android device, download the Microsoft Teams app (iOS App Store/Android Play Store). You’ll need to make a Microsoft account (Outlook/Hotmail) account so you can login already (though many of you should be able to login with your school account if they use Office365 and allow external connections).
- You will need to switch your microphone on (there’s a little switch button with a microphone symbol next to it) and your camera if you have one (there’s another switch with a camera symbol).
- If you have any issues, drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you don’t have a device with a front-facing camera or a webcam, please email email@example.com and we’ll try to sort something out.